Do I have a rooster disguised as a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pepsilipps, Mar 19, 2015.

1. pepsilipps

pepsilipps New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    I have noticed for some time now that my eggs look like they have been fertilized, but I thought all I had was hens. I noticed today that I have one that has spurs however, I have never heard any crowing. My birds for the most part are black Australorps. Do roosters always crow? This one really does not look much different than the others other than the spurs. I have seen some activity that would be consistent with one being a rooster. I also have 7 guineas one of them is a rooster. I have only had chickens for a couple years and have never studied them. The youngest birds are just one year old.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Everything is possible. I had all hens and one of them was acting like a rooster. Now I am positive she was a hen because she laid many eggs. SHE TRIED TO MOUNT THE OTHER HENS. GUESS SHE MUST HAVE BEEN STUCK BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL. =D=D=D So. it is possible you have a halfway rooster. Acting like a girly roo. LOL
    AND OF COURSE [​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Roosters almost always crow (I've never had a silent rooster). If you're not sure what gender some of your birds are, just post some photos.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    The mounting behavior is a dominance thing. Normal
    The spurs can also be on hens. All of my Hamburg hens have spurs for example.

I also second the need for a pic of the chicken in question.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!!

Photos would be most helpful - that way we can see the birds and assess them for the various physical characteristics that indicate gender.

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]
    Haven't heard much of a rooster not ever crowing..they can however, have a softer crow. Wish I had one of those. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by