Do I have a Rooster here?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken8442, May 13, 2010.

1. Chicken8442

Chicken8442 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    I know this forum gets a lot of this, Here are some pics, can someone let me know if I have a rooster developing here.

I got the 2 bigger ones april 10th so they are 5 weeks, too early yet?

Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    you could
    check to see it theres spur buds on the legs

3. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

That does not appear to be a cockerel, the comb development is what you'd expect a pullet to display at that age. Pullets usually develop tail feathers before the cockerels do, but their combs and wattles are quite a bit behind the cockerels. That's not always true, just most often.

This is a photo of four of my Partridge Rocks, two are pullets and two are cockerels, all at five and a half weeks.
    [​IMG]

4. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:very nice lookinf birds [​IMG]
    and i forgot all about that! shoulder feathers help with identifycation(sp) too

5. Chicken8442

Feb 5, 2009
    ok, my wife tells me these pics were actually taken at 4 weeks

so they are bigger now, The only thing that I was concerned about is that this one seems to just be bigger, the tail feathers are more developed.. but the combs seem the same as the others.
    Thanks for the help.. Ill take a look to see if I can find spur buds.

6. fastpat

Quote:I have pullets that are the same size as the cockerels, and have cockerels that have tail feathers the same length of the pullets, though the feathers are beginning to even out and the cockerels have darker feathers growing now.

Their combs are the most reliable indicator of gender, can you post a photo of their heads taken today?

7. RAWR

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:I have pullets that are the same size as the cockerels, and have cockerels that have tail feathers the same length of the pullets, though the feathers are beginning to even out and the cockerels have darker feathers growing now.

Their combs are the most reliable indicator of gender, can you post a photo of their heads taken today?

ditto
    pictures would be very helpfull

8. Chicken8442

Feb 5, 2009
    Heres two more pictures I just took

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Chicken8442

Feb 5, 2009
    doublepost:)

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  10. fastpat

Quote:Their combs indicate they're pullets. Of course, there are no absolutes with chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by