Do I have a rooster? Leghorn

Nietz

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2017
New England
Hi, since this is my first go around with chickens I am just not sure if I'm correct in thinking one of my leghorns is a rooster.

First image is of the bird that I suspect is a rooster and the second is one of the others that I have which the other 2 look identical to one another, both birds are 3.5 months old and were raised together.

I'll keep it short and to the point, rooster or hen?

20170609_190528.jpg

20170609_190557.jpg

Nietz

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2017
New England
Thanks for all of the replies guys. Unfortunately He's got to go, of all of my Leghorns he is the most calm/tame too!

Gray Farms

Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock
5 Years
Apr 11, 2016
NW Missouri
I'm not 100% convinced that first one is a cockerel. A 3.5 month old Leghorn cockerel should have a lot more comb. If it is a cockerel its very, very slow maturing. I'm leaning more towards a faster maturing pullet myself. At 3.5 months old they are nearing laying in a few more weeks. It just don't strike me as a cockerel from this one photo.

Nietz

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2017
New England
I'm not 100% convinced that first one is a cockerel. A 3.5 month old Leghorn cockerel should have a lot more comb. If it is a cockerel its very, very slow maturing. I'm leaning more towards a faster maturing pullet myself. At 3.5 months old they are nearing laying in a few more weeks. It just don't strike me as a cockerel from this one photo.
Gray Farms, You are correct! The other 2 leghorns caught up in looks and this afternoon I got 3 white eggs which means either one of them laid 2 eggs ORRRR I have 3 hens :)

Top Bottom