DO I HAVE A ROOSTER? (PICS ADDED)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by irf1983, Jun 11, 2009.

1. irf1983

irf1983 Songster

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    I've suspected one of our young "hens" is actually a roo. Although it has no spurs, and a small comb and wattles. Some of my known hens have larger combs than it. And I thought all roosters had spurs. It's around 4 months old I think. My wife called this morning and said she heard crowing coming from the run. Do hens ever crow like a rooster? And if it is a rooster, do I need to keep it separate from the hens if I want to eat the eggs? Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Pictures would help people on this site advise you on the sex of your bird. Spurs don't usually start to show until the bird is much older and then the spurs continue to grow as the rooster ages. Sometimes a hen will assume the dominate role in a flock and mimic rooster behaviors including crowing but the crow won't be very loud and won't sound quite right. Having a rooster in your flock is for the purpose of having fertile eggs for hatching. He is not necessary for egg production. Fertile eggs are completely edible and doesn't affect the look or taste.

3. irf1983

irf1983 Songster

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    Thank you. I'm going to post some pics of the bird soon.

4. irf1983

irf1983 Songster

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my suspect. Rooster?

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    That looks like a roo to me.....

6. consdrs

consdrs Songster

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I would say... no doubt! pretty one too with all those shiny green tail feathers, (dead give away).

Connie

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I agree roo and a handsome one. Something to keep in mind is that roos usually don't start getting spurs until later on. Even hens can have small spurs!

8. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    LOL Only if you want too....We eat fertile eggs - ones from hens with roosters. It is basically exactly like eating one from hens with no roos. [​IMG] Some don't like the thought though....

Now you can get an incubator and join us in hatching out chicks which is SOOOooooo fun! [​IMG]

9. Sequin

Sequin Songster

May 20, 2008
    Yup. I'd say roo too. Very handsome boy!!!

10. Wynette

Wynette Crowing

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Nice little EE roo! His comb's not that big because EEs typically have pea combs, which do not get that large.

I hope you can keep him around - it's not just for fertilized eggs that they are good for - they're also awesome protectors of the flock, and...well....it gives the girls something to do! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: