Do I have a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bleonard7, Jun 28, 2011.

1. bleonard7

bleonard7 New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    First off I am new to all of this. I recently got into raising chickens. I have what I believe to be 4 females. 1 though is in question. I have 1 Ameraucana that started crowing in the morning 2 weeks ago. Not every morning either, just every now and then. They are only 10wks old now and from what I was told they don't start crowing until 4-5 months of age. I have had a few people tell me to check for a bump on their chest, which she\\he does have, then it's a female. I also read to check for pointy feathers on the back before the tail feathers. This chickens feathers are rounded which I was told means female also. I haven't heard the crowing for a few days until today so it's got me worried again. This chicken is also my shyest one. [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's the white one. I can take better pictures if needed.

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Cockerels can start crowing at weeks of age... two sometimes. You do have an EE cockerel. Hatcheries call Easter Eggers - Ameraucanas. I am 100% sure it is a rooster.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It's hard to get good pictures because the little buggers never are still but a good head shot would help. The feathers by the tail aren't always pointed, but they do sort of curve down on either side. Neck feathers are more narrow and pointy than on hens. A head shot would help most, to see if the comb and wattles are big. Another indication is if the legs are bigger than the others' legs.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would say you have a very hansom EE rooster.

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    EE's can be sexed on color most of the time. I am guessing that the comb has three ridges and is pretty red. FYI

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, that is an EE rooster.

7. bleonard7

bleonard7 New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    The comb is bright red and you can't tell it in these pictures but this one stands so much taller than the other 3 chickens I have.

8. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    All my prettiest EE chickens were boys. Just by the color I'd say you have a beautiful EE Roo.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Congratulations! He's a boy! And he's going to be a gorgeous hunk of EE love too. Look at how much color he has at just 10 weeks. Amazing!

10. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    ooh, he's a keeper! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by