Do I have a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kasey, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Kasey

Kasey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Waco, TX
    I have three Easter Eggers that I bought from a pen of pullets. However one is starting to make me think she is a he. What do y'all think?

Ruby/ Rudy?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mabel
    [​IMG]

Phoebe
    [​IMG]

If I need to take better pics I can. All
    I had on me was my phone.

2. SeattleLeah

SeattleLeah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    How many weeks is she? The feather pattern looks girly but I see why you would be concerned with the comb growth. Is the comb pink?

3. Kasey

Feb 10, 2013
    Waco, TX
    She is about 4 1/2 weeks. Her comb does seem a little pink to me which was the root of my concern. And also her neck seems thicker than the other two. As far as leg size she is the same and feather growth is the same as well. Just the comb seems pinker than the others to me.

4. Kasey

Feb 10, 2013
    Waco, TX
    Here are a couple more pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    They look like pellets to me. The feather pattern and color are common in girls. BTW I love your names I too have a Phoebe(Welsummer) and a Mabel(Speckled Sessex)

6. savery

savery Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Check the saddle feathers! If it's a roo they are going to be pointy and if a pullet they will be fluffier and rounded :) I have 2 EE same age as yours their names are Cinnamon and Raisin :)

7. Kasey

Feb 10, 2013
    Waco, TX

Thanks! :)

8. Kasey

Feb 10, 2013
    Waco, TX
    Where exactly are the saddle feathers located? On the back right by the tail? Or ? I was just out with them again and Ruby has a noticeable comb and the other two have smaller not so noticeable combs. And Ruby has always sounded different than the other chicks. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. Lol but she kinda putts around and sounds a bit like a guinea when she is scratching and searching for bugs. I think and her chirp is a little raspier than the others as well.

9. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Hi saddle or hackle feathers will not be apparent at this age so do not worry about those they usually come through when the bird is nearing the 4 month mark and by then you will usually know but I think you have a girl there [​IMG]

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

That is a pullet. The coloring and the comb are very girly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by