Do I have a young rooster here?

kgdubois

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
West Texas
Hello y'all! I've got a bird that I'm unsure whether or not is a rooster or a pullet. I was thinking he was a young rooster, but then saw my older rooster trying to mount him...so thought it might be a pullet?? this is a bird i've raised myself, just a farmyard mix. I had a hen that looked exactly like him as far as coloring, but she got eaten by the coyote that i'm currently battling. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank y'all!

That's weird....... it has a roo-ish tail but it is colored like a hen......... I for one am stumped!!

Last edited:
I have a similar colored barnyard mix bird I wrote off as a male early on. It feathered in with the darker red on the wing pretty early, and my mind just said rooster. It took a few months before I really looked at it, and she's now one of my good layers. The even color overall, and the salmon colored breast are hen markers. My girl is molting horribly at the moment or I'd get a pic.

Is your bird from Easter egger stock? I honestly did think Faverolle in that first picture. She's a nice looking hen!

I have a similar colored barnyard mix bird I wrote off as a male early on. It feathered in with the darker red on the wing pretty early, and my mind just said rooster. It took a few months before I really looked at it, and she's now one of my good layers. The even color overall, and the salmon colored breast are hen markers. My girl is molting horribly at the moment or I'd get a pic.

Is your bird from Easter egger stock? I honestly did think Faverolle in that first picture. She's a nice looking hen!

exactly. She is unusual colored due to being silver- normally would be black and white and grey but she has genes for production of extra red(what RIR have), hence the strange color combination.

It's really no wonder faverolles comes up- they are silver wheaten. The hen above is not wheaten, possibly silver partridge with the extra red. Same concept, different "base". That's why if she were male, she would have been mostly black and duckwinged like a salmon faverolles roo.

Last edited:
I am unsure as to what hen she came from, but the roo is half EE and half Australorp, I think. The hens could have been Barred Rock, EE, White Leghorn, Dark Cornish Game, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Columbian Brahama, RIR or one of several of my other barnyard mutt mixes. I was hoping this one was a pullet and that her mama was the hen that got eaten. The coloring was almost identical, but the dead hen had brighter, more mohogany red, not this peachy red. Either way, pretty birds, and thank you!

Thank y'all so much for the help! I've been watching "him" like a hawk, and my mature rooster has been consistently trying to do his roosterly duties. I have also not heard any extra crowing, and all of the males that hatched with her are crowing us a storm. I guess I've got another one of the really pretty girls!

Here are a couple of pictures of Peter the Rooster, this one's daddy. He is in the middle of a very unbecoming molt, but he's quite handsome when fully feathered :) In the second pic he/

she is standing right next to him.

I'll bet he's quite the guy when he's not molting. I feel so bad the roosters when they molt--they go from so handsome to "is that bird ill?"

Back
Top Bottom