Do I have all cockerels?

BBB454

Chirping
May 11, 2015
They are about 3 1/2 weeks old. My neighbor is a teacher and they hatched them at school. The eggs came from a local farmer and all but my 6 chicks went back to the farmer. If anyone can tell me what breeds they are, that would be great. Also, do you think they are all cockerels? You've already "met" my EE Sparky and said he is a he, so I'm not including him here.

Thanks!!
Barb

They are about 3 1/2 weeks old. My neighbor is a teacher and they hatched them at school. The eggs came from a local farmer and all but my 6 chicks went back to the farmer. If anyone can tell me what breeds they are, that would be great. Also, do you think they are all cockerels? You've already "met" my EE Sparky and said he is a he, so I'm not including him here.

Goldie appears to be a cockerel.

Layla appears to be a pullet.

Yellow appears to be a pullet, but I'm not sure.

Ben looks to be a cockerel.

Fifi looks to be a cockerel but I'm not sure.

Thanks!!
Barb

It's interesting that Goldie, Ben and Sparky (the other one that was called out as a cockerel) are by far friendlier than the other 3. When I open the curtain, they all jump up to greet me. And Goldie started the trend of roosting on my arm. That's where "he" prefers to be, rather than down with the others, and now Sparky and Ben have picked that up as well.

Is it normal for cockerels to be more outgoing and friendly than pullets?

Thanks for all of your input!

Barb

It's interesting that Goldie, Ben and Sparky (the other one that was called out as a cockerel) are by far friendlier than the other 3. When I open the curtain, they all jump up to greet me. And Goldie started the trend of roosting on my arm. That's where "he" prefers to be, rather than down with the others, and now Sparky and Ben have picked that up as well.

Is it normal for cockerels to be more outgoing and friendly than pullets?

Thanks for all of your input!

Barb
Yes. The most outgoing and friendly often end up being the cockerels. It's common and unfortunate. The pullets tend to be a bit more guarded, although this is not always the case.

Does the friendliness matter on how often the chick is handled? None of mine are outgoing when I'm there but some dont seem to fear for the lives as much as others. Mine will be 3 weeks on Monday

Does the friendliness matter on how often the chick is handled? None of mine are outgoing when I'm there but some dont seem to fear for the lives as much as others. Mine will be 3 weeks on Monday
Yup. The more you handle them, the more they will warm up to you. The outgoing ones aren't always cockerels, though, and the fearful ones aren't always pullets. I had a cockerel that was as antisocial as a brick as a young one. It's just that the cockerels often tend to be a bit braver, and thus, warm up to you easier than the pullets :(.

3 weeks might be old enough to sex them by sight, but I would wait a little longer.

+ I should also add that handling them isn't everything. Some chicks are just unfriendly or easily frightened at heart, and that's that.

Last edited:
When it comes to the barred rock, what are you seeing that confirms he is a cockerel? I have a BR in question too...ive posted about him/her before and had mixed answers.

+ I should also add that handling them isn't everything. Some chicks are just unfriendly or easily frightened at heart, and that's that.

That is true for the batch I have now. It's like they "took sides" from the beginning. Although I feel like they are watching the "lead" chick who happens to like me, and becoming less fearful as they watch our interactions. OK, chicken psych done for tonight. LOL

Back
Top Bottom