1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I have an Australorp Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ryeguy, Feb 27, 2013.

1. ryeguy

ryeguy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2012
    One of our two Australorps happens to be my favorite of all our chickens. However, I'm wondering if it's a he and not a she. Compared to the other Australorp he/she is bigger and the comb is definitely larger and more developed. We got them from Meyer and they weren't straight-run. At this point there are 6 months old. I've yet to catch either Australorps in the act of laying, but I know at least one of them have to be.

Here's the possible Roo:

[​IMG]

Here's the for-sure Hen for comparison:

[​IMG]

Any thoughts?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    They're both hens. The first one is just growing faster (she's probably more dominant and gets more food).

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Looks like a hen to me.

4. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

I raise and breed Australorps and that is most definitely a pullet!

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I check the pullet box as well. Most certainly a lady. I got 2 and yours could be their sister.

6. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    thats a hen, and an austrolorp

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I see all hens in your pictures. Just like humans, chickens develop at different rates. Your slower girl will catch up, and it's likely that first girl who is laying.

8. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    She looks just like my two BA hens and just like yours - one of mine developed faster and has remained a bit larger than her sister. Very sweet chickens, docile and friendly. Plus, the smaller one is the protector of my little bantam. My LBs pick on my bantam but not when Mattie is around.

9. ryeguy

ryeguy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2012
    That's good to hear. Thanks for the responses. The Australorps are my favorites. They seem to be he friendliest of all the breeds we have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by