Do I have an Olive Egger? Pics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nicole01, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Just wondering if you would consider my dark green egg an olive green. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Taken with my other EE egg and RIR egg.

[​IMG]

The one who lays the darker green egg. Cheeks, who is the EE in the middle.

[​IMG]

What do you think? I love my eggs!

2. Patches The Hen

Patches The Hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Hi,

It looks like an olive green to me! Maybe even a kind of sage green.....[​IMG]

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    What a pretty egg! That is an EE girl however, not an Olive Egger, which is a specific gene combination that results in a line of birds who consistantly lay that color of egg. It involves crossing a blue egg layer like a purebred Araucana with a dark brown egg layer like a Marans.

EEs will hit upon it once in a while, but it's not reliable into the next generation.

However, if you are not interested in breeding or selling her, then the genetics are all a moot point, and you can go ahead and call her an Olive Egger if it makes you happy. It's technically not untrue if she's laying olive colored eggs.

I hope that clarifies things a bit! Sorry if I was confusing. [​IMG]

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    There is no specific gene combination for an olive egger - they are not actually a breed. They're a cross of anything that lays very dark brown, and anything that lays blue or green. See this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=131131&p=1

I
    think anything that lays in the range of olive colored could be considered an olive egger! Pretty egg!

ETA: to be clear, "olive egger" is just a description for any chicken that lays an olive colored egg.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Thanks! We are not breeding her. She came from the hatchery, so who knows what she was bred with. I highly doubt the hatcheries have pure Aracuana's. Her egg color is very pretty.

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Very nice egg color and big too.

7. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Thank you. [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I agree! She laid the egg yesterday and it's her 4th one so far. I imagine they will get a little bigger as she finishes maturing.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:That is both true and untrue. I tend to err on the side of precision when answering questions such as these, because I didn't know if she intended to breed her bird.

You need to start layers of known specific genetics in order to ensure you will end up with a line of predictable Olive Eggers. If the OP got her bird from a hatchery, which in appearance it is, then she's better off not using the bird to breed a line of olive eggers as hatcheries use a slurry of genetics to make their EEs, and her bird's offspring would be frustrating to her. Better to start cleanly with the initial cross.

But you're right, she can call her bird an Olive Egger as much as she pleases, because she has no intentions of selling the bird or breeding her as one. [​IMG]

10. heath_elisha

heath_elisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    We have a large black hen that lays olive green eggs. Soft shells though. We managed to hatch out a bunch of chicks from her eggs and she has created some beautiful EE babies. Although she does not appear to have much EE in her, she sure has some beautiful babies and look forward to when they start laying. We are keeping two of the cockerels with hope that they will have the blue gene in them because of their pea combs. We are new to all of this and look forward to the flock we can create. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by