Do I have any Roos? Please say at least 1...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Indiana Gallina's, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Indiana Gallina's

Indiana Gallina's Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    Muncie, IN
    Please help me if you can the first 3 are Silver Laced Wyandottes and the second 3 are all Black Sex Links Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Black sex-link males would be barred like a barred rock, so those are all females. I don't know about the SLW as I have no experience with them, but those are some red combs on 2 and 3!

3. Linkoso

Linkoso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Swe.
    All the Wyandottes looks like roos to me.

4. Indiana Gallina's

Apr 7, 2008
    Muncie, IN
    I am glad to hear that I have some. Last year I bought 9 buff opringtons and everyone said you will have at least a couple roos and they ended up being all pullets. Everyone tells me thats impossible lol but it happened to me.

Thanks so much for the responses.

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:I'm thinking the same thing. My wyandotte females never had such red combs when they were so young.

6. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    The Wyandottes are roos. All the black sex-links are girls. Sex-links can be sexed at hatch (I think roos have a white dot on their head and the girls are all black) and when they get older, the roos are barred and the hens are gold and black.

7. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Indiana Gallina's :

I am glad to hear that I have some. Last year I bought 9 buff opringtons and everyone said you will have at least a couple roos and they ended up being all pullets. Everyone tells me thats impossible lol but it happened to me.

Thanks so much for the responses.

Lucky! I am not going to keep roos so I wanted all pullets and no roos from the straight run group I got and I hit 2 for 12, hens to roos. Thats when I elected to order ones already sexed.

vortec​

8. Indiana Gallina's

Apr 7, 2008
    Muncie, IN
    Thats great to hear. I wasnt hoping for all roos but guess I will have to get rid of at least one maybe 2. Cause that will put me at 11 hens and 3 roos. I am guessing that will cause problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by