Do i have chickens or roosters??? PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lickenchicken, Dec 30, 2012.

1. lickenchicken

lickenchicken New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    Hello,
    I've had these chickens for nearly 4 months now and i still have no idea what sex they are...could they be roosters? or what breed for that matter. I picked them up from my son's daycare and was given no information about them except that the golden ones tend to be female..is this right? Gosh, i just dont know. Can anyone help me??? Please help me! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I hope these pictures are helpful. Any information would be muchly appreciated.

Thank you.x

2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Oh, they are very pretty! I love the yellow legs. The look very healthy too!

I would say they are hens because the combs are very small and pale. If they were roosters the combs would be sticking up more and a darker cherry red colour.

How big are they? Are they bantam size of normal chicken size? The look like Rhode Island Reds to me, or the hybrid kind they use on egg farms.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They are red sex links. Golden Buffs, Golden Comets, etc. Lots of different names for them. Chances are overwhelming that they are pullets, young hens. If they were cockerels, they'd very likely be almost all white with some reddish/brown on their backs.

These are the overwhelming favorites of the brown egg laying industry and super popular with backyard keepers as well. Enjoy them.

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What Fred said!
    Red sex links, they're female, and from the looks of things they might not start laying until spring. Their combs will get larger and redder and they might get more vocal. Then, you'll go out one day and have nice brown eggs! They're nice backyard birds, they're little laying machines and usually pretty calm and docile.

5. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    They look like red sex links, and they are pullets. :)

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Yes, I think Red Star pullets as well.

7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Red Sex Link pullets

8. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Red star pullets. I have one. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  9. brimjohnson

brimjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Yup! Red sex link girls. Very pretty

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    [​IMG]

Definitely Red Sexlink girls. Red Sexlinks go by a TON of different names (Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, Red Star, etc.). They are a hybrid (most commonly a Rhode Island Red male on Rhode Island White females) that are bred to be excellent brown egg layers and to be sexlinked, which allows them to be sexed by color at hatch. Here's a link with pictures and info: http://www.welphatchery.com/EggLayerTypes/red_sexlink.asp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by