1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I have enough room?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Stedman, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Stedman

Stedman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2016
    I plan on having five chickens . I'm going to be building my own coop and run it will be a stationary one with the coop is 4 x 4 in the run is 10 x 5 they will be spending most of their time in these two is this enough room for them

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Can you build the coop 4x5 instead? That would give the birds a full 4 sq. ft. per bird instead of 3. They can do fine with 3 sq. ft. per bird, if that's what you have. 4 sq. ft. per bird is nice if hey are going to be cooped a lot during the winter. The run dimensions are just fine. 10 sq. ft. per bird. Do yourself a favor tho. Make 2x4 wood ,chicken wire covered panels 5 ft. wide by 6 ft. high with a horizontal stabilizing 2x4 bar across 3 ft. up. Carriage bolt them together and add a door in one of the panels. Put several cross 2x4's across the top ad add chicken wire. There's nothing like a yard you are able to stand up in to enjoy your chickens. It's much better than crawling on your knees thru poop to catch a bird. I made my run this way and it lasted for years thru all kinds of bitter and nasty weather. It took a direct hit from a 70 ft. pine tree to smash it flat,.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    you have the same flock size as me

your coop and run is a bit bigger than mine though

coop 3'x4'
    run 4'x8'

they are outside in the run most of the time so the small coop was not a problem at all-- since they only use the coop to sleep and laying eggs..

now they are free ranging all day

but if you live in an area with a lot of rain and the chickens are inside the coop all day.. then having a bigger coop is ideal though

4. Stedman

Jul 9, 2016
    The run will have a roof on it so most of the rain and snow will stay out of it

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Even 4x5 would be bare minimum......go bigger....need room for feed and water.
    What is your climate/location?

1 person likes this.
  6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Makes me nuts when folk don't explain their climate as it has so much to do with how we build.
    Best,
    Karen

7. Stedman

Jul 9, 2016
    I am in Massachusetts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by