Do I have enough ventilation?

graceupongrace

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Central Washingtom
We bought this coop from our local Coastal Farm and Ranch, supplied by The Shed Yard. So far, we are loving it but I'm a little concerned it may not have enough ventilation.
What do you all think? If I do need more, what should I do about it?

20170524_180117.jpg
20170524_180130.jpg
20170524_180059.jpg
20170524_180048.jpg

There's no ventilation worth mentioning, without removing the window glass and screening, and replacing it with hardware cloth. Face the window wall to the south, add a hardware cloth covered window to the door, and bigger vents in the upper walls. It's very cute, but too dark and closed in. Are those latches actually locked, or do they just turn to open? Either have them locked, or add better security with lockable hardware. Mary

[QUOTE="Another thing I forgot to mention is that we are planning to keep our little chicken door from the coop to the run open even during the night, at least during the summer. :oops: Everyone I know around here who as chickens does this and doesn't have a problem.[/QUOTE]

I used to live out that way, closer to Spokane than central... but, my biggest concern would be coyotes... I personally wouldn't leave the door open simply because of them. If they can get into your run, then they'll get into the coop.

Yes, there are two small round vents on either side of the coop, directly across from each other (which I've read is a bad thing?)
Then both the windows open...
Opening the windows will for sure help as long as you have good wire across them. Even the nesting boxes could use some venting during the hotter summer months. Nice looking coop, just need some better venting.

@Folly's place Thanks for all your info! We are planning to add hardware cloth to the windows. The entire interior is painted white so its light in there if that matters at all. Thanks for your suggestions, I thought it seemed lacking in ventilation as well. Would it be good to drill like 3" holes along the back and cover with hardware cloth? Doing the same on either sides?

Rather than 3" holes, plan for large openings, as maybe 6' to 8' high all along the back upper wall, covered in hardware cloth. Of course leave the framing in place, but open things up a lot more. I really cold weather (do you have that in Washington?) you can use plastic over part of the openings, or awnings or shutters. Mary

@Folly's place Are you talking about something like this? We can get pretty cold winters here in central WA. Would I close the "shutter" in the winter? How would the ventilation in the winter work then?
Another thing I forgot to mention is that we are planning to keep our little chicken door from the coop to the run open even during the night, at least during the summer. :oops: Everyone I know around here who as chickens does this and doesn't have a problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170524-211738.png
    Screenshot_20170524-211738.png
    983 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom