Do I have Hen or Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gmorse1, Oct 28, 2009.

1. gmorse1

gmorse1 New Egg

Oct 28, 2009
    Halesowen
    Good morning to your all [​IMG]
    I am new to this site and to keeping chickens (Well 4 weeks actually)
    My Hens are approx 16 weeks old. (I have 4 of these)
    When I went up this morning to let them out they all came out as normal but after a couple of minutes the one let out an almighty horn sound and her neck went up straight!! she did this for a minute of which all the other chickens ran back into the house.
    Is it possible I have cockerel and not a hen?
    I have looked for signs of any spurs growing on legs but can see nothing.

Last Saturday I also collected 4 Ex battery Hens which we have seperated from the others as instructed. One of the Ex batts is in much better condition than the others but is pecking the other ones. We actually put her in with the 16 week old chickens yesterday whilst in larger garden. A couple of the 16wk old hens had a go at her but settled down...... last night we let the Ex Batt (Hetty) stay in the house with the 16wk old hens...... it is a large house with 2 nesting boxes. The 4 16wk hens where in the one box and Hetty was in the other. Could this have brought on the strange horn sound from "Ethel" when let out this morning?

Help?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi and Welcome!

Can you post pictures?

One thing to look for is a difference in comb development between the one you think may have crowed and the rest.

3. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    If it sounded a "horn" sound and the other chickens ran back into the house,my guess would be he/she spotted something that may have scared her/him. Maybe a hawk flying over or basically ANYTHING at all the bird was not familiar with or looked like a threat. I think it was sending out an alarm to its fellow coop mates to, Watch Out!

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    [​IMG]

I think what you are describing is an alarm call. If the others ran back inside, they thought something was around, like a hawk that was dangerous. They don't run away when a rooster crows, normally.

5. gmorse1

gmorse1 New Egg

Oct 28, 2009
    Halesowen
    Thanks for your replies.....
    I will try and post pictures but I will say the comb looks no different to the others.
    I will take note at the alarm calls......
    They have been in the garden all day today and we have heard nothing like it since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by