do i have Hens or Roosters? and what kind are they? so many questions - please help

sandrameissnest

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
Hello,
i just got me recently chickens ( we had 4 first chickens ) after 4 month came out that 2 of them were Roosters :(
so they found a new good home .
i still have the two hens ( but i have no idea what kind they are ) one is white and has just 2 dark brown spots on her back otherwise she is pure white.
the other is a very light brown beige... its lighter on her neck with some white in it/.
i will make pictures tomorrow- now its to dark outside .;)
here are some pics of my new batch... 4 baby chicks
almost 4 weeks old.
2 black and 2 red road Island they told me... they also said that they are all hens... well that's what they said before ,too.LOL
the one black is getting white spots... so i guess its a barred rock?
the other i have no clue... since they said that there are the same... doesn't look like it .
the one with the white spots ( barred rock) his or hers comb is coming out ( its yellow for now ... thank god )
the other black one has nothing showing yet...
and the red once just a tiny bit/..
how can i tell if there are hens or rooster...?
and what kind?
can i tell already
how long do i have to keep then apart from the other once they are about 5 month old
thanks so much for your help
Sandra
p.s how can i post pictures ?

Just a quick glance - I would guess that the barred is a roo. I'm not an expert, but the comb looks like many of my roos when they were chicks.

from what you said it sounds like your older birds might be a laying hybrid known as tetra tints. they chicks are 'production reds', a black austrolorp and a barred rock. the 'red' on the left of both photos is a cockerel, the others look like pullets but it's a little early to tell for sure :)

once the babies are fully feathered out (6-8 weeks old) you can combine them with your older birds. do it slowly. section of part of your coop for the chicks or place them in a cage so they can all meet through the bars first. once they seem fairly comfortable, you can let everyone one out of thier coop to free range so they have room to get away from each other, then put everyone back together. do that right before sunset so they'll spend the night roosting together. check on them again in the morning and if everyone's calm, just leave them.

if there's been any fighting, feather picking or bloodshed, place the chicks back in thier cage and spend a few days taking them all out to free range for a few hours then seperate them again. that way they can get used to each other in a controlled enviroment. remember chickens are not very welcoming to newcomers so moniter them until your sure they're okay. minimal scuffling is normal, don't interfere unless theres blood. they need to work out thier pecking order on thier own and stopping them may just make it worse.

good luck with your first flock and
welcome-byc.gif

Edited for grammer

Last edited:
def. a pullet :)

okay i think this is getting a little confusing. MY opinion is this:
black and white striped: certianly a barred rock pullet (female)
red on left: production red cockerel (male)
red on right: production red, gender unsure but most likely pullet
mostly black: black austrolorp, gender also unsure but i think pullet

so what is mine then??

Last edited:
not really, they are way to loud !
do you there is still a chance ( like a small % that its a hen? )
i'm very upset now .....

Back
Top Bottom