Do I have Leghorns?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GRAM49, May 7, 2008.

1. GRAM49

GRAM49 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    I recently acquired 6 6-week old chicks and were told they were Leghorns. They are now 8 weeks old and still very buff/light gold color. We raised white Leghorns when I was a child, but I don't remember when they changed to white. Do I have white Leghorns or another breed. It is not possible to check where they came from. Thanks for any help.

2. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    pictures would help.

3. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    If your chicks are "buff/light gold color" as you say, and they have their feathers in. I would say they definatly are not white leghorns. Did the people you got them from tell you that they were white leghorns? Or did they just say leghorns? Their are many different colors of leghorns. You could just have a different color leghorn. Hope you get it figured out.

4. GRAM49

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for answering. They just said "Leghorns", but she got them from a farm supply store so maybe she didn't know either. They definitely have quite a few feathers. Brown are fine, it has just been so long since I have been around chicks that I have forgotten so much. [​IMG]

5. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    At 6 weeks a white leghorn would be white. As all I have seen at that age have the feathers in.
    If you could post pictures that would help.

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Since they are feathering in buff and are from a feed store, I say buff orpingtons.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    If they turn out skinny birds like Leghorns, then they are probably not Buff Orpingtons. My guess would be though from the feed store, fatter bird, a Orpington or Buff Rock, or skinny birds and flighty, will be Buff Minorcas. I had some fromt he feed store. They were great layers, but skittish.

8. GRAM49

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a pic, but just don't know how to post it. Whatever they are I will love and care for them. Acutally wouldn't mind another variety, just hope they are good layers. Thanks for all the interest. So glad I found this board.
    Gram49

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by