Do i have Mallards or Rouens??? updated pics added page 4!

Shkittles

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
!Somewhere in Central Ohio!
I got 2 baby ducklings from TSC out of the assorted duckling bin and they are either mallards or rouens. How do you tell the two breeds apart? Also how big of an area in my 12X16 shed do they need for the 2 of them?

P.S. My camera's broke right now so i can't take pics
hit.gif
They're so cute..... Once my camera is fixed i'll take some pics of them.

Also i'm a new duckie mama so is there anything special i need to do?

Thanks
!Shkittles!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about ducklings... Just figured I'd post to bump you up. Hopefully you'll get an answer now... Post some pics when you can!

I got 6 babies from TSC I was told also they are mallard....I have mallards but they were older when I got them..Never had any this tiny..My mallards(adults) have orange feet with black toe nails and the babies I got have soild black feet dont know if they will change color...But I too thought they were rouens.....Here are my babies

19025_009.jpg

I followed much the same rules as chickens when I got my ducks. We fed chick starter and let mom teach them the rest.

The only cardinal rule is: NO food when there is no water or they can choke. And, as you may already have found out, ducks are messy with water!

When I put my ducks/chickens in for the night I pull food and water.

Once you notice them preening themselves regularly you could try offering them a shallow swim dish..the oils need to be groomed into their feathers. Ours didn't show an interest in swimming until much later.

They grow so fast, enjoy them
smile.png

Hope to see pics soon!

I'm having the same issue. Thought I had a mallard, but now I'm thinking its a rouen. Can you all help? Sonny looked just like these little ones when he was small. He is about 7 weeks old right now. Cher is the Pekin.

23932_sonny_2.jpg

23932_sonny_3.jpg

This is Sonny and Cher at 2 weeks old......

23932_name_those_ducks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom