Do I have one roo and one pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by firsthouse_mp, Dec 19, 2010.

1. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    These are my Silver Spangled Hamburgs. One looks suspiciously like it might be a roo. We are not allowed to have roosters in our City, so I want to prepare myself for a re-homing..... They are exactly the same age and are about 4.5 weeks old.

Close up of suspicious one:
    [​IMG]

The two of them together:
    [​IMG]

2. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Yep, that's a little roo. Too bad you can't keep him. My boy is really sweet, even after 3 years!

3. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Sure looks like a roo to me. Sorry!

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Yup a roo.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    He's not a silver-spangled hamburg, but he is a he. His comb is completely wrong. I've never seen one with a rogue single comb.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I agree with her, it isnot a Hamburg and even it may have spangles but the wing pattern were more like broken barred. something fishy going on at the hatchery that bred this roo.

The pullet next to him, has the correct rose comb.

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Man I really am going blind!

It looked like a big rose comb to me. Didn't see all those points.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  8. firsthouse_mp

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    Wait...seriously you don't think this is a SSH? Does that mean that the pullet isn't one either? I got three (supposedly) SSH from Meyer Hatchery and they arrived cute as can be (I lost one after one day).
    [​IMG]

They are now 4.5 weeks old and I had been hoping for two white egg layers (since I already have brown and EEs). Along the way I also I adopted a SLW and a GLW who are 1.5 weeks older than the SSHs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would LOVE to have a roo, but as I mentioned I can't won't be able to keep him. When do you think he will start crowing? I will have to give him another home before then. I am still curious about his breed though. May need to post again in another month or so to hear your opinions [​IMG]

Thanks everyone!

9. firsthouse_mp

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    Wolftracks: Are you in Modesto CA? That's not far from me! I am in the Bay Area. If he turns out to be a roo, maybe you would seriously consider adopting another????

10. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Your pullet has the right comb. Your cockerel's feathers look like my SSH's did, but his comb is all wrong. Interesting, because I've never seen one with a single comb before. I wonder what else he's got in his bloodlines. This is my SSH cockerel at about 4 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by