Do I have pullets or roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kbh913, Dec 15, 2013.

1. kbh913

kbh913 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2013
    We are brand new to backyard chicken raising and have found this forum AMAZING!
    Here is our story... about 6 weeks ago our chickens were delivered with our coop from a local coop builder. We were given 4 to start supposedly 10 weeks old at the time (an Aracuna, A chochin, an orpington, and a wellsummer). One escaped the second week and never came home:( so then we had three and they are doing great. I think it was the aracuna who escaped (but I'm not positive between the Orpington, wellsummer and aracuna.
    We just added 3 new juvenile birds from Murrary McMurray that are supposed to be between 15-22 weeks (barred roc, americana, and silver laced). They came and are much smaller than our first three and they should all now be similar ages.

Today (about 4 days after adding in the new pullets) our what I believe is a wellsummer has started crowing! I am now concerned I may have cockarels on my hands here (zoning doesn't allow it) but not sure and now questioning my first three's gender. I've read that a pullet can crow. So these three are about 4 months old (give or take- again, supposedly). Can anyone help me identify what we have? We do have a local farm that can help rehome roos.

Thank you so much!!
    [​IMG]
    above - "Sunny" (wellsummer?) in back with the greenish tail, "Snuggy" in the middle on the log (orpington?) and Nightmare our cochin in black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    above- cochin called nightmare

[​IMG]
    above Nightmare in front with Snuggy our orpington with the gray tail

[​IMG]
    above - Sunny - (crowing welsummer) in the back left on one leg and Orpington on the right

[​IMG]
    above- cochin closest to camera, Sunny the welsummer and the orpington back

[​IMG]
    above- sunny the crowing welsummer

[​IMG]
    above- cochin

[​IMG]
    above- orpington

[​IMG]
    above- welsummer legs, spur buds?

[​IMG]
    closest to camera above - orpington

[​IMG]
    above, orpingotn closest to camera on left, cochin in middle, and crowing welsummer on right

[​IMG]
    above - orpington

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    above - wellsummer on back right with darker green tail

[​IMG]
    above - far left orpington leg and right are chochin legs both with spur buds

[​IMG]
    above - wellsummer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kbh913

Dec 15, 2013
    Here is a video of our crower.....[​IMG]

3. Whoops

Whoops Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I only had one Welsummer, but I think it's pretty safe to say Sunny is a roo Welsummer. I suspect Nightmare is a roo, too. I don't think Snuggy is an orpington. However, I am very ignorant, and someone else who knows more should weigh in.

4. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Sunny is a definitely a Welsummer roo- the hens of that breed have grey bodies and yellow neck feathers. Nightmare I believe is a roo, too... I think I saw yellow pointy, thin "saddle" feathers right in front of his tail. Snuggy is not an orpington- unless a mix...but, I believe Snuggy is a bearded Easter Egger roo. (Easter Egger roos as I recall have red feathers on their wings.) Someone else might be able to weigh in and give more educated opinions, but I'm fairly sure that these three are roos...sorry...

5. Irishhenman

Irishhenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    Sunny:not a welsummer, he has a pea comb, he is most likely a crossbred rooster
    Snugly: It is not an Orpington, it is muffed and doesn't have the right colouring and is a rooster
    Nightmare: rooster, and not a Cochin because the shap is terrible and it has white earlobes and. I think it is also crested.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I absolutely HATE when new chicken folks get taken advantage of!!

I sincerely hope there is a special place in hell just for people who are so dishonest with them!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  7. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Snuggy is an easter egger...I would be willing to bet my life savings on it...

(Which isn't a whole lot lol, but that is no orpington).

8. kbh913

Dec 15, 2013
    boo:( Everything posted so far is matching my suspicions. So sad! We really are loving those three and we can't have 3 of our 6 be roosters, let alone have any for our zoning. My young boys have gotten so attached to them too. Does anyone out there have any speculation that any of these three are girls? I'd hate to give them away if they did end up being lovely ladies.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! Everyone is so helpful and kind on here!

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I think your coop builder found a way to dump cockerels on unsuspecting folks, unfortunately. Those are all roosters, 100%, no room for doubt. Sorry. Go ahead and start looking for homes for them, and don't be too picky about their probable future in someone's stew pot.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry, but they are definitely roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by