Do I have Roos or Hens...breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by my3bratz2008, Jun 30, 2010.

1. my3bratz2008

my3bratz2008 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Wurtsboro
    Help Please!! I am sure I have at least 2 Roos, but the other 3 have me in question because their combs are getting larger and very red. I thought hens have duller colored combs. Plus I was told these were Americanas, but their legs are yellow not slate, so i am confused???? They have also become very aggresive towards my millie roos and all my turkey pullets and ducklings. Is it time for a new home for them? Okay, now I have to figure out how to put up pics.

2. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    We'll need pictures to really help you out... Can't tell from your description.

I can tell you that your "Ameraucanas" are probably something else if they have yellow legs.... again, we need pictures to be able to be more specific.

3. my3bratz2008

Aug 2, 2009
    Wurtsboro
    Okay, the first one is my Roo Jay in all his glory [​IMG] next is Sasha [​IMG] then we have Kestrel [​IMG] this one is Falcon [​IMG] and last we have Sophie, which I believe maybe the other roo [​IMG]

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Sophie look slike a RSL pullet who is ready to lay and the rest look to be easter egger roos.

5. my3bratz2008

Aug 2, 2009
    Wurtsboro
    what is an RSL? Sophie is the only one with a regular tail, the others all have those beautiful bent whispy ones, and "she" was a calico mixture as a chick and then told all golden.

6. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    RSL = Red sex link, a hybrid egg layer also know as red star or golden comet.

7. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    They all seem to have muffs, so I think you're right about them being EEs. And depending on their age, their combs all make them look like roos... so how old are they?

8. my3bratz2008

Aug 2, 2009
    Wurtsboro
    Okay I went on the linked website, and she doesn't resemble those birds. She is the color of her daddy I was told by the guy we got them from. As I mentioned, she had calico markings like the others did, and then she went golden like her daddy. This pic shows her off, and note the tail.[​IMG]

9. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Ah, in that pic she looks like and EE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by