Do I have stupid chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Swampwood, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Swampwood

Swampwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    Heated coop, it's raining and 30 some degrees out... Meatheads are out in the run(open door to coop).. freezing rain, shivering, huddled, fluffed, cold foot dancing at fence wanting to come out and range![​IMG][​IMG] Is this normal stupid or our mine special?[​IMG]

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    It is normal. [​IMG]

3. GeneJordan

GeneJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Arnaudville, La
    "Stupid Chicken" is a redundant term

What used to get me, was driving home on back roads and having a chicken run out into the road, to avoid being hit by my car...

I think ducks are the same way.
    One day on my dad's way to work, a farm duck became startled as he was driving by, took flight right into his windshield.
    The duck broke clean through and landed on his front seat, and proceeded to quack at him as if to say "you idiot, why did you hit me?"

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Are they chickens? Then that's your answer.

5. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Heehee. The grass is always greener over the fence.

6. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    My first thought upon reading the subject line was "don't we all?" LOL. My girls actually don't come out in bad weather. They are southern chickens, they don't do snow and freezing rain.

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    If it makes you feel any better, my horses have done the same thing when I gave them free access to the barn. They would just stand outside in all kinds of weather. I think my chickens are smarter than my horses, they stay in the coop when the weather is bad.

8. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:Mine second that. Not that it snows here, but if there's more than a light sprinkle they stand at the coop door and look out like "yeah, right." [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by