Do I have the temp right?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosaline, Dec 15, 2009.

1. rosaline

rosaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    [​IMG] I have just finished making my bator. I have had it going for nearly 4 hours and it seams stable to me. I havent put in my eggs yet as I wanted to make sure I had the temp right. At the moment it is reading 97.5 F. Is this ok? or does it need to be higher [​IMG]

Thankyou for your help x

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Do you have a fan in your incubator?

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Congrats on making your own bator. It's a good feeling. I keep mine at 99.5 and I always let my bator run for at least 24hrs before I put any eggs in. It usually takes mine that long to get the humidity working right. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. rosaline

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    No fan in incubator, no sure what type or where to get one from? [​IMG] Is it a fan that would produce warm air ?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:A fan, like the little fan on a computer tower. It is used to circulate the warm air. Temp of 99.5 for an incubator with circulated air. I believe a still air (no fan) the temp should be 101. or 102. or something like that. Check some other posts on that, as I am not for sure. Mine has a fan, and I am not real sure on the still air.

6. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:A fan, like the little fan on a computer tower. It is used to circulate the warm air. Temp of 99.5 for an incubator with circulated air. I believe a still air (no fan) the temp should be 101. or 102. or something like that. Check some other posts on that, as I am not for sure. Mine has a fan, and I am not real sure on the still air.

I thought it was the opposite?.. still air: 99.5
    circulated: 101-102

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Still air 101
    Forced air 99.5

8. rosaline

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    Thankyou, I think I will do the still air bator. And I am thinking of changing my bator a little. Maybe have the light at the bottom instead of the top. Not sure....[​IMG] Just want to get the most heat from my light. I have another box if it goes wrong.

Thanks for the advice x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by