Do I have this right?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jjdward, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    If I cross a RIR rooster with a Dominicker hen, will I get sex link chicks? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. S&SPoultryExchange

S&SPoultryExchange Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Concord, NC
    I would think it would be close to a Black sex link. I dont see why it wouldnt work..

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Yes, that cross would produce black sexlinks.

4. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking that would work since the black sex links I got from Ideal were from a RIR rooster and a Barred rock hen.

5. jjdward

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    So will they have the single comb of the RIR or the rose comb of the Dominicker? Or a different comb all together?

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    As long as your dominiques aren't carrying the single comb gene, all f1 offspring will have rose combs, carrying one copy of the single comb gene. If the f1 birds are bred back to the rir, 50% will have single combs and 50% will have rose combs, het for single comb. If you breed f1 x f1, you will get 25% single comb, 50% rose het for single, 25% rose, not single comb gene. The rose combed birds het for single comb would be indistinguishable from the ones not carrying the gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by