Do I have to choose one?

SaraJean0989

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2018
I ended up with WAY too many cockerals for the amount of hens I actually got out of my “started pullets” order. But I have most of the boys scheduled to be butchered. There is one really sweet submissive cockeral that I’d hate to butcher bc he is so sweet, but I have a Australorp that has already established dominance over the 9 hens I have(along with the other cockerals) Right now the submisssive guy is separated from everyone because he wasn’t going to make it with the other cockerals went after him when he was separated for a week (I never witnessed the Australorp go after him on reintroduction). I was hoping once the other 8 cockerals were gone I’d be able to reintroduce Fred (the submissive guy) to the group and him and the Australorp could keep their separate corners and live in peace.

IF I have to choose one or the other, would Fred be able to establish dominance over my hens at this point, I want to keep a rooster to keep my hens from turning on each other. I got them all the end of May and they were sold as 10-12 weeks old... my opinion is they were all closer to 6-8 weeks old.

Why not separate the boys you don't plan to keep and reintroduce Fred now to the Australorp and the girls? If he is submissive, he probably will get along fine with the Australorp.
That sounds like a good idea!

What on earth do you want a submissive rooster for? Your hens won't.
Did you miss this part ....
bc he is so sweet
....not that I think it's good reason.

@SaraJean0989 Welcome to BYC!
The 2 cockerels may get along... or not.
They may get along at first then may fight for dominance later.
The submissive one's demeanor may change once the other males are gone.

You got screwed on your 'started pullets'...the males would have been pretty apparent at 6-8 weeks.

Yikes, how many cockerels out of your "started pullets" did you get? Where'd you get them from? I'd sure let them know. How many hens total will you have? Maybe keep Fred as a "spare"?
I have 9 hens out of the 20 “started pullets” I plan to get more chicks in the spring but going into Iowa winter I fear I’ve waited too long to purchase chicks. Once we get through winter I hope to get 11 sexed (from a hatchary) chicks. Ending eventually with the 20 hens I wanted starting from start

You got screwed on your 'started pullets'...the males would have been pretty apparent at 6-8 weeks.[/QUOTE]
Why not separate the boys you don't plan to keep and reintroduce Fred now to the Australorp and the girls? If he is submissive, he probably will get along fine with the Australorp.
Unfortunately we currently only have room to keep one or two mature chickens separate from the group- I have 10 cockerels

That sounds like a good idea!

Did you miss this part ....

....not that I think it's good reason.

You got screwed on your 'started pullets'...the males would have been pretty apparent at 6-8 weeks.
Thank you, I’m to the point where I think I am going to keep Fred and hope with all the rest of the males gone he can establish dominance over my 9 hens. I would rather have a rooster I know will let me in their run to collect eggs this winter.

Thank you, I’m to the point where I think I am going to keep Fred and hope with all the rest of the males gone he can establish dominance over my 9 hens. I would rather have a rooster I know will let me in their run to collect eggs this winter.
Hopefully he stays 'timid' when all the other males are gone.

Back
Top Bottom