Do I have to have a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brandyberry_Chick, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Brandyberry_Chick

Brandyberry_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    Someone told me I need to get a rooster so my hens will keep producing eggs but I was going to wait until spring to get chicks....help... [​IMG]

2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    You don't need a rooster to get eggs. You do need a rooster if you want those eggs to hatch out into little chicks though. The rooster does not have anything to do with your hens laying eggs.

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    People always say that. [​IMG] It is not true. You do not need a roo for hens to keep producing. But a roo is great to have with the flock.

4. Brandyberry_Chick

Oct 18, 2009
    Are they good protectors? I am going to an auction Thursday to find one...and if I don't i'm going to the Wolf Lake Swamp Meet...I want to buy one young so that it's socialized with people because my daughter will be young and I can't have him attacking her.

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Roosters are great protectors of their flock. My roos have saved my hens from hawks before.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  6. Brandyberry_Chick

Oct 18, 2009
    Ok because I saw a black and white cat stalking my girls...so I may borrow my friend's rooster who is picking on her rooster named Gimp (because he hops with a limp). I think I will just use him for the protection aspect...he's an EE and I really don't want any EEs because I have noticed they are WAY over done...it seems like they are everywhere

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, there's lots of 'old farrmer' tales about roosters. Don't believe most of em. Consider battery hens, ain't no roos in the egg-shed. In fact, if you have a too-agressive roo, he might well ruffle the girl's feathers so much, they may lay fewer eggs, a very good roo MAY make them feel secure but it's a gamble either way! Roosters have NOTHING to do with egg production... only with chick production.

FYI, I do prefer to have one, for protection of the girls, and I just like them around and I'm wierd enough to like the crowing.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  8. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    They are great at protecting their ladies and they even care for them in a weird sort of way with feeding and stuff. Roos are the most colorful and don't believe the old guy behind the hay stack at the feed store when he tells you that roosters are mean. Also don't believe that every rooster is going to be like that one that is in every single farm story your grandparents ever told either. Not all roosters chase you to the ends of the earth for gathering up eggs.

Man I wish I knew what my mom and dad did to them roosters to make them so full of hatred in each and every single story they tell. [​IMG] Then again my Dad had to walk in four foot snow banks for three miles up hill both ways just to get to kindergarten!!!! [​IMG]

9. Brandyberry_Chick

Oct 18, 2009
    LOL Ok! I am going to take everyones input to heart...my husband asked me if the girls were going to start crowing and I said no. He told me he can't wait to hear them crow....huh ugh...lol

10. cnj-tx50

cnj-tx50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    I have a Americanna-mix rooster that is the sweetest guy. You don't have to have one but they do a lot for the hens. They search for food, protect them and my makes sure the pecking order thing doesn't get too out of hand. Also, when i introduced two little ones to the flock he was so gentle with them that they stayed with him for about four weeks until everyone left them alone. Also my roo show the new pullets how to be hens. He leads them in to the coop, to the nesting boxes and sits with them until they lay an egg!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by