do i have to have good lighting in coop to for them to lay eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jonbanks, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    my rirs are in there 23 week i think maybe a couple more. but they have not started laying. i was wonderig if the lighting in the coop was a problem. i only have one window and it lets in minimal light during day. so can someone help me out

2. jonbanks

Aug 12, 2008
    anyone?

3. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I think it could have something to do with it, especially since there is less daylight now. What is 14 or 16 hours a chicken needs a day to lay any egg?

4. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    Do they go outside? I'm no expert but I would think more natural light would help. Also if you have a timer you can have a light that turns on for a couple of hours in the morning...say 5am.
    I have three 23 week old EEs and one just laid her first egg yesterday. I guess all breeds are different though. I hope this helps!!??

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Normally I would say yes - they need 12-15 hours of light a day to keep laying. We have lights set up, but they have been tapering off lately. No idea what is going on.

6. jonbanks

Aug 12, 2008
    thanks i do let them out side for a few hours a day but i guess im going to have to cut another window in the chicken coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by