1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Do I have to let shipped eggs set before I put them under my broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newchickmom09, May 21, 2010.

1. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Songster 9 Years

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I was wondering if I have to let the shipped eggs set before I put them under my broody hen? The eggs have had a long transit from MI to AZ and it is HOT here in AZ. I was thinking maybe I should just put them under her as soon as possible. Or am I wrong.

First time hatcher here. [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I think the main reason why most let them set is so they can get to room temperature. If you put cool eggs in an incubator, they are likely to develop condensation on the shells. Very very bad [​IMG]

Another reason is to allow any moving air cells to hopefully reattach. So if you candle them, and the air cells all appear to be intact, I don't see any reason why you'd have to let them sit.

3. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    It is hot here and the eggs just arrived, they don't feel cold to the touch at all. Don't know if that is good or bad. They will be going under my broody hen not in an incubator if that makes a difference.

When I candle them I should just be looking for a circle in the egg that is in the large part of the egg correct.

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Right, that's the air cell. If it moves when you candle them (turn them to the sides to see if it follows) I'd let them set so the air cells can hopefully reattach. And yes, I didn't go into detail enough on my previous post, because you are in AZ, the eggs shouldn't be cold, and also since they are going under a hen, even if they were cold, they wouldn't get condensation on the shells. [​IMG]

5. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Ok I candled them and it looks lighter on the top, darker in the middle, then lighter in the bottom. I couldn't see any defined air cell or circle of any kind. I looked at a store bought egg and it just looks light all over same with my hens eggs.

What does that mean if it light, dark , then light when I look into the egg.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The dark is the yolk, are they brown eggs?

7. chickee

chickee Songster

Quote:You are seeing the yoke in the middle. You need to gently tip the eggs back and forth and watch to see if the air cell that is supposed to be in the large end is floating loose in there like a bubble. If it is, that means the air cells have dettached and you need to let your eggs "rest for at least eight hours, I let mine rest 24 hrs, to let the air cells have a chance to settle back into place. Put the eggs, large end up in an egg carton in a cool place (around 65-70 degrees) and elevate one end, then every so often elevate the other end. This will keep the yokes from sticking in one place. I use a book or a rolled up towel under the end of the carton and change sides about three times while the eggs are resting. GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

8. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Quote:They are silkie eggs a light brown and a very light brown.

9. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Quote:You are seeing the yoke in the middle. You need to gently tip the eggs back and forth and watch to see if the air cell that is supposed to be in the large end is floating loose in there like a bubble. If it is, that means the air cells have dettached and you need to let your eggs "rest for at least eight hours, I let mine rest 24 hrs, to let the air cells have a chance to settle back into place. Put the eggs, large end up in an egg carton in a cool place (around 65-70 degrees) and elevate one end, then every so often elevate the other end. This will keep the yokes from sticking in one place. I use a book or a rolled up towel under the end of the carton and change sides about three times while the eggs are resting. GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

OK. I didn't know that. So evelating one side will help the air sell move back to the top where is should be.

Everything is just blended together it doesn't look like there is any defined cirlce in there.

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    When you are letting the eggs 'rest' after shipping, you are not supposed to turn them. Just put them in a carton, big end up, and let them be. I also let mine sit 24 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: