Do I have to lock them in the coop for days??

mkolasa

Chirping
Mar 27, 2021
I have a coop with an attached run. My chicks...now pullets...started in a brooder in the house, then moved to a larger brooder in the garage and for the last 2 weeks, if the weather was nice, I let them in the run during the day and back in the garage brooder at night. Last night they stayed in the coop overnight for the first time. They had been in the run all day and I simply opened the small chicken door and when I came back a few hours later they had all made their way into the coop and were exploring. We watched through windows as they climbed on all the roost and ate/drank.

My question is, do I now have to leave them locked in there for a few days or can I let them out in the run again. I hate to lock them up...they so enjoy the run.

Last edited:
I'm inclined to say no. They have found the coop and are well aware of the outside world. You may need to lure them with treats for a while to get them in the habit of going in at the right time. The only other thing would be are they feathered enough and acclimated to your weather.

I'm inclined to say no. They have found the coop and are well aware of the outside world. You may need to lure them with treats for a while to get them in the habit of going in at the right time. The only other thing would be are they feathered enough and acclimated to your weather.
They are almost 6 weeks. Seemed to be fully feathered. I am a new chicken Mama so I am not an expert LOL. We did close up the coop last night and I plan to keep it closed and not let them out until the temps reach 55 degrees (that was the minimum temperature we would let them go out in when they were sleeping in the garage). What is the worst case scenario in not locking them up? That I have to encourage them to get in the coop at night and it could take time to create the habit? Is that what I am risking?

^^^ this.

No need to lock them in the house so they know where to find weather shelter/predator safety when its attached to a secure run. MUCH different for free-rangers like myself, which require some different management practices, or some of my birds (particularly when the weather is nice, as it is most of the year) would no doubt take to sleeping in some protected area of my underbrush. or under a shed, or... or... or...

I have a coop with an attached run. My chicks...now pullets...started in a brooder in the house, then moved to a larger brooder in the garage and for the last 2 weeks, if the weather was nice, I let them in the run during the day and back in the garage brooder at night. Last night they stayed in the coop overnight for the first time. They had been in the run all day and I simply opened the small chicken door and when I came back a few hours later they had all made their way into the coop and were exploring. We watched through windows as they climbed on all the roost and ate/drank.

My question is, do I now have to leave them locked in there for a few days or can I let them out in the run again. I hate to lock them up...they so enjoy the run.
When my girls first went out I let them free to the inside and outside parts. At night for a while I would put them in the coop and lock them up. After a month they would go up in their own. I only lock them up there at night if it is really cold and I want them warm.

Back
Top Bottom