Do i have to stop turning the eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Firefly994, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Firefly994

Firefly994 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    Very new to this,i picked up some guinea,chukar and 2 kinds of chicken eggs,i plotted it out on the calendar so they would all hatch at the same time and i could stop turning them at the same time but was told some of the guinea fowl eggs had been sat on for 6 days and others were more recent,do i need to stop turning them? They all look identical.dont know which is which,can i just watch for pipping and lay them flat then or leave them in the turner until i see them trying to get out?

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

its the time in the incubator - not the storage time that tells you when to stop turning

the hatching bible says stop turning chickens on day 18, chukar on day 20 and guineas on day 25. my guineas hatched on day 26

its better for the chick to get orientated to hatch if you stop turning but I have had them pip in the turner.

how have your temps and humidity look?

3. Firefly994

Firefly994 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    The problem is that some have been sat on for 6 days before going into the incubator and all the guinea eggs were mixed together when i bought them so i dont know which ones need to stop turning early,will it hurt them if they keep turning until they start hatching?

4. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Thats tricky.Do you have a second bator to put them in?
    If they are a week ahead they need to go into higher humudity when you see them beginning to hatch.The turner if they hatch in un it can get hurt by it If it were me i would take the turner out lay them all down and hand turn or put them in egg cartons
    tear a hole out of each egg hole and stand the end up of the carton up on something to tilt it one way then the other 3 times a day I use a piece of 2x2 or 2x4.Safer that wayTurner can hurt them if they hatch mightt get a leg etc caught in a part of it

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

ok. this is confusing. sitting on a counter does not count,

please state the dates you began incubating

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by