Do I have to worry about predators during the day?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by here-a-cluck, Nov 1, 2009.

1. here-a-cluck

here-a-cluck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2009
    We live on a creek lot-fenced but the bars are about 4-6 inches apart. We have seen nearly everything in our backyard but mostly at dusk. Do I need to be worried about our hens ranging in the day also? Should I always be out with them when they are ranging? If so, what is the easiest wayto get them back in their coop?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I had a hawk land on my suburban fence just on Thursday. He was eyeing my little 6-week-olds, who fortunately were in a pen at the time. Pretty brazen too. He was watching me move around inside but stayed about 10 minutes until I finally went outside and scared him away.
    [​IMG]

3. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Unfortunately, yes.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would be LESS concerned about daytime predators, but they're still there. I would think hawks, dogs, and maybe cats would be your biggest concerns during the day... But if they're full grown then cats would be less of an issue...

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I've had as many preds in the daytime as at night or dusk.

hawks, coyotes, neighbor dogs, cats, all are daytime predators.

meri

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I have seen coyotes coming up yo the neighbors back porch at 11 am in the fall....Sometimes I see our resident barred owls during daylight hours too

7. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Yes, a big Raccoon walked up my driveway at 12 noon one day during last Summer.
    My Neighbor saw it, I was at work, he said the chickens scattered, nobody was killed.
    I want to know where my dogs were? in the house, probably watching TV (Oprah?), must hide the remote.[​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hawks got 2 of my ducks. They are locked up at night. I had to build an aviary so they wouldn't get eat while out of the pen.

9. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    24/7

10. here-a-cluck

here-a-cluck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2009
    thank you all for your quick reply. If I want to let the girls free range how do I make certain they are safe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by