do I have to worry about snakes eating my chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rhino1, Mar 20, 2015.

1. rhino1

rhino1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    Where I am going to build my coop it will be right by a low swampy area. I know there are water moccasins, probably rattles and copper heads. Do I have to worry about them messing with my chickens or just myself in the coop? I plan on making it hard for predators to get in, just not sure I can completely keep snakes out

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Can't you find a better place for your chicken coop? Under your coop would be a perfect place for a snake den. I would think chicken eggs might be a attractant for snakes. Maybe you need a mongoose or two?

3. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    My back yard butts right up to a low area. We have 5 dogs in our back yard as well. They're mostly inside dogs. But they need the room as well and I am pretty sure I have one dog that might like a chicken diner. So, I wanted to put them behind my fence to give them more room as well. Ithe run will not be in the water,just a foot or so from it. We don't have mongoose here in Ga

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  4. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    I also plan on pouring a concrete slab for the hen house that will also double as my tool shed

5. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Concrete slab is a good idea

6. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    X2 I have friends that lives where they have lots of rattlers and they always carry a gun to kill them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by