Do I have to worry about weasels or rats- coop 3 feet above ground?

kayri

Songster
12 Years
Jul 6, 2007
RI
Hi all, the bottom of my coop normally stands about 2 ft off the ground and the top of the coop is about 4 1/2 ft off the ground. It is on wheels and about 3 weeks ago I moved it so that the back of it is against a stone wall and about 2 ft off the ground. I have the lid propped open with a small rock for more ventilation and there is about a 2 inch gap. Do I have to worry about weasels or rats? I know there are wood rats in the area, but I don't think we have weasels. We live in what I call rural-suburban. The houses have between 1/2- 2 acre lots and we are in southern RI near salt water- the beach is about 200 ft away. We have foxes, coyotes, possums and raccoons. Do you think we have weasels? Should I take the rock out, will they-rats or weasels- climb two feet up the wooden structure to get in? I have had a lot of predator loss lately- foxes, hawks, I'd hat to lose them to a weasel or rat. Would welcome your thoughts.

Kay

TAKE THE ROCK OUT IMMEDIATELY! You mentioned you have raccoons & opossums. Raccoons are very strong for their size. In terms of raccoons, think this way: If a four year old child can figure it out, so can a 'coon. 'Possums can get their long slender snout into very small spaces, then just wedge the rest of their body in. You can get some wire mesh and screw it (use firring strips, b/c if you just put a screw & washer through the mesh itself, 'coons can rip it right off) to the surrounding wood, being careful not to leave any gaps.
ETA: and yes, rats would have no problem w/ your current arrangement, either. They're phenomenal climbers.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice- we are rural and I am constantly worrying and possums and raccoons and weasels (we have Fisher Cats) I was the Home Depot today and saw bird and deer netting- was think of laying that with insulation between the ground and floor of my coop.... now thinking I need something stronger... thanks

Thanks for the input I took the rock out last night because I was worrying and couldn't slee. I don't think a coon or possum could lift the top of the coop up because it is really very heavy. It must weigh about 40-45 lbs. My daughter can't really lift it and if there is any snow on it at all, I can't lift it either (and I work out a lot). I do have an electric fence around the coop set up that may or may not deter raccoons and possums. I've seen raccoons run right through the fence when surprised or panicked. I'll have to get DH working on a different ventilation system . . .

Back
Top Bottom