Do I have vampires in my coop?

Avalon1984

Songster
9 Years
Dec 22, 2010
Muskegon
We processed my 3 20 week old roos this weekend and I was so proud since I had sharpened my knifes the night before and made sure they were sharp- and boy they were. My question is, the first one I killed did not bleed out properly. We cut is head off with garden nippers and there was barely any blood. I worried that maybe I had clogged the artery or something so I made several incisions in the neck closer to the body and nothing. I did pluck him right away too and gutted him but there were no areas of discoloration from any blood left in the body either. Do I have vampires???? Or what did I do wrong? The other 2 bled out just fine.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Thank you Jason. The other two seemed to have more blood than the first one. I was thinking that maybe he was anaemic. Who knows. I'll try him next weekend and see how he tastes
smile.png

You might also consider putting a padlock on your freezer, there might be Zombies at play here as well.
wink.png

Last edited:
After all my work of filling the freezer with farm fresh goodies, I will protect it day and night!!!
rant.gif

2 more roosters to go tonight, will see how it goes.

You need to check the rafters of your coop thoroughly, vampires are REALLY good at hiding in tiny crevices and cracks. I do recommend you treat with some food grade Diatomaceous Earth, dust all those cracks and crevices, and make it as unfriendly an environment for those vampires as possible.

Quote:
Done
smile.png
I was also happy to see that there were no mites or other critters on my birds when I dressed them out. A friend of mine said he always sees lots of them and just washes them off. Now if I could only get rid of that rogue vampire...

Last edited:
We processed 120 layer hens this fall and while I bled them out well, there wasn't a whole lot of blood. After that we did 30 Cornish Cross and I was really surprised at the amount of blood, bleeding out the first one I was thinking "Holy Smokes that's a lot of blood", but of course they were two to three times larger than the layer hens.

Back
Top Bottom