Do I help my chick hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tryingtohaveitall, May 12, 2009.

1. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Here's the deal, out of our 10 eggs, 8 hatched completely yesterday. One has nothing and one has been pipped with a big hole for a long time (since yesterday afternoon probably.) There has really been minimal progress since 11p at least. The poor thing's still alive and every now and then cracks off a teeny bit more. Do I go ahead and help a chick out?

Sorry, I know I've read tons of these kinds of threads, but of course now that it's me, I can't find them.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I wouldn't help just yet, it can still be absorbing it's yolk sac and knows it's not time!!! Yesterday at noon would make it less than 24 hours from the pip to zipping out so I would wait.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    are you keeping it moist? maybe it's stuck and a little dry? I would wrap it in a warm wet paper towel for a few hours-dont cover the air hole it made though...

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Im sure you'll get both sides here in about 10 min. One side will say Absolutely NO!! that you're helping weaker chicks survive that maybe shouldn't and that these weaker chicks my make your stock weaker in future generations.

Then you have another side... the side I lean toward if you aren't breeding toward the standard of perfection or showing or aren't planning on selling your birds. This gives you the ability to decide whichever way you want to go [​IMG] without concern. If you decide to help, here is a couple tips.

If a chick has been in the shell for that long with a pip, the membranes are starting to dry up and its ready. Begin by breaking a larger hole and work around the side just like it would naturally hatching. Work a bit then stop and let the eggie rest for an hour or two... then go at it again. The whole thing may take 6 hours or so but this gives all those veins and chance to dry. If you see blood (you will) just stop and let rest then hit it again in a couple hours. Once the baby has "hatched" have a paper towel moistened (with warm water) ready and lay it on that so its navel doesn't stick to the wire. It probably won't be able to walk til tomorrow.

If they haven't pipped yet, candle and see if the beak has pipped the air cell. You should see a shadow if it has. I would make a pip hole and see what's going on in there. Then, same thing. let it rest. You can tap on the eggs and chook chook at it and hear the peep calling back. This will let you know if it's still alive. GOOD LUCK!!

ETA: I just read Tuffoldhen's post and she's probably right. Just keep an eye.. as long as it has pipped, it has air. And, most people don't start busting in there til day 23.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  5. tryingtohaveitall

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for all the input. I did add a bit more warm water to up the humidity. Fingers crossed! The others are all doing so well, I am thrilled with our first hatch! [​IMG]

6. tryingtohaveitall

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I couldn't stand it any longer, so I slowly helped him out. He is very vigorous but I think some of the membrane may have been stuck to him. I'm assuming that's why he needed the help? Other than the membrane stuck to him, the rest came off easily. So far so good!

9 out of 10 on my first hatch! Woo hoo!

7. NCIndiaBlue

NCIndiaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    Quote:I think that is a great idea! I just wrapped a warm wet paper towel around one of my peafowl eggs that pipped a little over 24 hours ago... leaving the air hole open

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I think that is a great idea! I just wrapped a warm wet paper towel around one of my peafowl eggs that pipped a little over 24 hours ago... leaving the air hole open

Good luck let us know how it worked? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. tryingtohaveitall

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    The one that I helped hatch has done fine. S/he seemed very ready to be out.

10. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Congrates on 9 of 10...well done! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by