Do I help or wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Katy, Nov 5, 2007.

  1. Katy

    Katy Flock Mistress

    I've got an egg that pipped this morning and has had a pea size hole in it since around noon. I can see his beak and he's breathing, but it looks like he's a big chick and I'm afraid he doesn't have enough room to rotate in the egg so he can zip. On day 18 when I candled I could tell there was no extra space left in the egg other than the air cell. Another that pipped after him has zipped about halfway around and is much more active and making good progress. I've got the humidity up to around 70 so hopefully he's not totally drying out and sticking. I don't know whether he's just resting...or giving up. What do you all long should I wait till I help. I don't want to find him dead in the shell in the morning.

  2. silkiechicken

    silkiechicken Staff PhD

    If he only pipped this morning, give him at least till tomorrow morning. He's probably really tired. I've had some pip and out within 4 hours, while others take two days!!! Since it has only been half a day, tie your hands behind your back and reisist the urge to even open the bator, humidity is critical now.
  3. Katy

    Katy Flock Mistress

    Just went and checked the other one is out. Maybe his peeping and movement will encourage him.
  4. Katy

    Katy Flock Mistress

    OK....I'll try and be patient. [​IMG] The last one I helped a couple of hatches ago I think I waited too long. I just don't want to do that again. I used to have the attitude that if they couldn't make it out on their own they were probably too weak to nerves would be better off if I still thought that way!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: