Do I intervene???

Sara Ranch

Songster
Jun 7, 2017
Two viable duck eggs in the nest. This morning, my partner saw a "broken, bloody egg" in the nest. The egg was brought in and placed on the counter and I was informed of it.

I immediately went to find the egg and I started talking to it. It was clearly visible the duck was well developed. I started talking to it and the duck responded! And moved it's feet (visible for brief seconds at the part of the cracked up one end of the egg.) The head is at the closed end. So it appears that the egg broke at the bottom part of the duck's body and the blood on the egg is at a crack at the head end of the egg.

I put the egg back in the duck nest. The remaining egg had been moved from the nest and I moved it back. It was completely intact.

Momma duck did not go back and sit on the eggs. She was running around the duck house quacking and making like she wanted to leave. :( I gave her some alone time and then checked on her. Still not sitting on the eggs.

I do not have an incubator. Best I can do is a heat lamp.

Suggestions? Should I bring the egg in and put under a heat lamp? Is there anything I can do to help baby duck?

The other duck egg - the one intact - is probably due 08/08/2018 - Sunday. One egg was left after a snake feast, so it's a bit older. Not sure exactly how old, so it could conceivably be the correct time to hatch. The one that is hatching now?

Sound like the Hen panicked once the egg began to hatch. Sometimes first time Mothers abandon the eggs or kill them as they hatch. You will need to get humidity up high so the eggs don't shrink wrap the Ducklings inside. Temp at 99.5 to 100 ..

She may have panicked - she is a first time momma that's been through a lot. Months of being "pregnant" between her and her sister and not one hatch until now.

I don't have a way to control humidity - there is no incubator. Best I can do is a heat lamp and damp paper towels.

Would you recommend I do that?

I'm heading back out to the closed up duck house to check on baby and mom.

I uploaded pics...last photo shows the duck's bill...sometimes the tongue darts out. Cute! Pokie is still talking a little. Doesn't seem to be making much progress getting out. I am using bottled water to keep the membrane moist.

Pokie is under the heat lamp. I removed the moist cloth.

Any suggestions? Any idea how long the rest of the hatch will take? With the beak exposed, I know it can breathe ok. Eyes are still under shell. Feet are still in shell.

I appreciate your help. :) I don't normally assist with hatchings.

Attachments

• 180802 Duck 01.JPG
    180802 Duck 01.JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 180802 Duck 02.JPG
    180802 Duck 02.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 180802 Duck 03.JPG
    180802 Duck 03.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 180802 Duck 99.JPG
    180802 Duck 99.JPG
    429.3 KB · Views: 12
Update photo.

Still attached at bottom membrane. Probably still absorbing some nutrients. Sleeping all the time now. Occasional talking and movement.

Attachments

• 180802 Duck Hatch.JPG
    180802 Duck Hatch.JPG
    481.8 KB · Views: 10
Just passed to duck heaven. *sigh* :hit

I think I am buying some ducklings at TSC next week. The girls have been sitting on eggs since like April/May. We did our last start over 07/08/2018.

What are your thoughts on sneaking little ducklings in at night? My one gal is sitting on one egg right now. Just one.

Attachments

• 180802 Pokie Gone.JPG
    180802 Pokie Gone.JPG
    612.9 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom