Do I Intervene?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kuntrygirl, Apr 30, 2009.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have a banty hen that has been setting on 15 eggs (5 banty eggs and 10 stolen standard size egss that she stole from another standard size Black Australop that would visit her nesting box and lay). Well she has hatched 4 of her banty eggs and 3 of the standard eggs. She is an excellent mother !!! 2 of the eggs are pipping and have been pipping for 37 hours now. I do not want to intervene but I'm getting worried. Do I let nature take it's course and let the chick hatch by themselves or do I intevene and help? I do not want to hurt the chicks but I'm scared that 37 hours has been too long. Because she would steal the eggs daily, the hatching is staggered. Every day an egg is hatched.

What should I do? Please help !

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Personally, I would let nature take it's course. But that's just me.

3. M@M@2four

M@M@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Hmmm...this is a tough one, but if it were me and I have been in this situation several times, I'd intervene. 37 hours is a really long time since it pipped. Can you still hear chirping on tapping when you tap on the egg? It could be that it is just dried out and needs some assistance...have you helped a chick hatch before? If not, let me know...I can tell you how I do it. Good luck in your decision! [​IMG]

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have never helped a chick hatch before. The eggs looks very dry. I do not see any movement. That is why I'm scared. I thought 37 hours was a long time as well. I really want to help. If you could tell me what I need to do, I will try my best to help the chick. I really don't want to lose any babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by