Do I isolate her or let them work it out??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CodyChristine, Aug 19, 2010.

1. CodyChristine

CodyChristine In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    A week or so ago, we adopted 12 young chickens (2 roos, 10 hens) from a friend who had a lot of chickens and we suspect were overcrowded from their feather conditions (bare backs, some bare necks, no lice or mites). Well, one of my black sex links has hung out in a nesting box almost constantly and I thought maybe she was broody so when I go in, I try and get her out to drink and eat. (There's never eggs under her) Well, this morning I pushed her out of the nesting box and she joined the flock but I noticed as soon as she was around the other hens, she crouches down to the ground. As I watched, it's because they are mean to her and pecking her!! [​IMG] Should I isolate her in her own pen with food and water for a few days, put another hen with her, or let them be?? Thanks so much!

2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Songster

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    You said she was missing feathers? Is it completely bare, so her flesh is showing, or is it just a few feathers here, a few feathers there?

If there is alot of skin showing, they may be pecking at her out of instict to peck at red. If that is the case, I would either cover it with a chicken apron, or some blue-kote.

If they are really being mean to her, you could do a partial isolation, as in have a cage in the coop so she can eat, drink and see the flock (and they can see / smell her) but they can't get to her. Then after a week or so, try letting her out.

3. CodyChristine

CodyChristine In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Yeah, her butt is completely bare but when they pecked her, they pecked her head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by