Do I just turn off the heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JanetR, Jun 29, 2011.

1. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    My chicks are 4 weeks old and it's warm enough in the house that I don't need a heat lamp anymore. (Gotta finish the coop)[​IMG] After being in light 24/7 is it ok to just turn it off?

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    They'll chirp and cheep in a distressful manner. After a couple of nights, they'll start to get the new routine. I remember the first time I turned off the lights. I figured I'd tone it down with a night light so not to abrupt a change. Small cheeping and then they were in a very tight semicircle around it as close as they could get. It was their "security blanket."

Even now, in my coop with all the girls, the 60w goes off and about 15 minutes later, the LED Xmas light string goes off. Both are on separate timers. So they have a 15 minute warnings to final "lights out." Just how I do it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. Turn it off in the daytime so it gets dark gradually vs. it going dark suddenly at night. The first couple of nights they are going to raise a fuss when it starts to get dark, but they'll get over it. Just make sure they don't pile on top of each other in fright, then just let them get over it. They have to grow up sometime.

4. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    Ok. Thanks. So tomorrow morning it will be lights out. [​IMG] I hope they don't get too upset!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by