Do I keep mama and her babies with the flock???

ilovechickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
West Central Wisconsin
My "Avatar" is setting on 12 RIW eggs, she shares a pen with 4 DLW, 3BLW, 2SLW. My husband can build me a cage for her to be in closer to hatching, I would like to keep her in there so she can raise the chicks, what would you recommend for a brooding box. And how long should I keep her in there, the Wyandottes are very friendly, but still, I would hate to lose a chick unnecessarily, any ideas. She will hatch them two weeks from Friday.

midget_farms

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Dunlap Illinois
Yes - she & the chicks should be separate from the rest of the flock. They may just kill the babies despite moms best efforts. Also - she should brood away from the rest too so they don't push into the nest to lay extra eggs.

She won't be picky about the brooder - just something that can protect her & the chicks from wind & rain. Old wooden box, old drum on its side. Get creative!

Good luck on the birds!

debbie.h

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 12, 2009
Warm Springs, GA
I had four hens hatch out clutches last year and I didn't seperate any of them. They brooded in the nesting box and when the chicks were about 2-3 days old, she took them outside. The other hens kept their distance and if they did get to close, she let them have it. Mama and babies found a corner in the the coop to sleep.

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
All my hens raised their chicks with the flock last year and I didn't loose one chick. They all left the babies alone or they would have had to answer to big bad mama hen. They were also free ranging tho so that made a difference I am sure. You could put her in a large dog crate within the coop and leave her and babies in there for a week or 2 before letting them out to meet the flock?

Top Bottom