Do i keep treating sour crop after 3 months, or not?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marlene, Feb 19, 2012.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have been battling sour crop with a pullet for over 3 months now. At first i tried yogurt, acv in water, softened crumbs, garlic, i carried this diet on for over a month with no change, so i started daktarin gel, which worked while i was giving it but stopped working as soon as i stopped giving it (did the daktarin for 4 weeks).
    I have since been to the vets and he prescribed anti fungal tablets, 1/4 tablet, once a day. They are not making any difference and it has been over a week she has been on these. Her crop is so full even first thing in the morning, it is very large and feels solid from were it is so full of liquid.
    Her meds run out in less than a week and i really do not know how to procceed, my husband say's it's time to cull her! I really do not want to cull but at the same time do not know what else to do for her.
    I just keep hearing how hard it is to get rid of sour crop once they have it, and that some times they loose the battle with it.
    Has anyone else been in this position, and what did you do?
    Has anyone succesfully treated sour crop that has gone on for so long, and if so how?
    I am willing to try anything that might help.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. Ldybirdpartridge

Ldybirdpartridge New Egg

Sep 23, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I'm a newbie but just had to cull a hen from impacted/sour crop. The crop had stretched out so much it was no longer working. She had to eat so much to get so little nourishment that it just wouldn't empty completely. Good for you for trying for so long. Hope she gets well. Ours was just do thin we had to consider the long term effects. :(

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
  4. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    How did you know it was time to give up?
    My girls crop is massive from the time she gets up and i fear she might never get better like your hen.
    But i do not know at what point i should give up, at the moment she appears to be fine, she ranges with the rest of the flock and appears to be eating, and quite a lot, most of the day she is at the food.
    Even though she acts normal, i know she is not, she walks around all day with her big hanging crop and vomits on and off.

5. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
  6. Ldybirdpartridge

Ldybirdpartridge New Egg

Sep 23, 2011
    New Hampshire
    She was under 2 pounds (black copper maran). We had her isolated so we could tell how much was actually going through her. She had the impaction (grass) that turned into sour crop and then had crop surgery to remove a softball size mound of grass. She healed well from the surgery but the crop would never empty. We weighed the time she had been away from the flock, the fact that she was unable to pass even the soft diet, and the stress we were putting her through treating it. The vet told us birds can last a very long time under the worst conditions. This was the first crop surgery for our vet and she found out later sometimes they take a piece out to shrink it down during surgery but we weren't willing to open her up again. Sounds like your hens problem isn't necessarily the sour crop but that it won't empty which leads to sour crop. Keep the faith and just do the best you can.

7. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Thank you for sharing your experience with me.
    I am going to finish the meds the vet gave her, she has a few days left of those, then i will give the monistat a try and if all that fails then i suppose i do not have a choice but to put her to sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by