Do I leave food out all the time?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by juliemom25, May 18, 2009.

1. juliemom25

juliemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    I have been operating under the assumption that we need to just leave our food out all the time for our 9 week old hens. My dh thinks that they shouldn't have free access. He did chickens years ago and they only fed them at certain times. Do they have an automatic shut off when they are full or should we be taking the food away?

THanks!!!

Julie

2. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I leave my food out for my chickens all the time. I have a 7lb feeder that i hang in my coop and the girls come and eat when they want to. I have to fill it up everycouple of days for 7 hens and 1 roo.

3. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Most people leave food out all of the time. I put out food twice a day. My mom did the same..she put food out certain times of the day. If they are free range they don't need food put out, I keep food in the coop, but they usually don't go in, but to lay then they come back out. Chicken are spoiled these days. I remember mom feeding the baby chicks starter feed for about 2 weeks then they were on there own with there momma. Now I feed mine starter food up to 4 months old!!! Big difference, huh. I am sure your husband know what he is doing and your chickens will be just fine. I don't know if you have any leghorns or not..I have 10 of them and they are like raising pigs. They are never full!!! They would eat us out of feed if we would let them. I can't keep them out of Sadie, Mable, and Ruby's dog food. They absolutely look like they are going to bust. I hope this helps you out. Good luck and enjoy. DJ

4. juliemom25

juliemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Hey, thanks for the replies.

We don't have any leghorns, just 25 RIR's, NHR's, BA's, BO's and EE's. We also have 6 Bantam chicks that will join the rest of the flock when they get older. They will free range some during the day......

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by