1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do I leave hatchlings with broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenichick, Oct 22, 2007.

1. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I have a Silver Grey Dorking sitting on 11 eggs . She's been on them for 17 days already. She is in the henhouse in a nest box, and the coop has is enclosed in the run. I've been putting food in the nest with her because she doesn't get down much. If the baby chicks hatch this week under her, will it be safe to leave them for her to take care of or will the other hens, roos hurt them?? I don't want to move her because everything seems fine I am going to put a little ramp from the nest box to the floor if I leave them though.

I have some day old chicks coming and don't know whether to take her's and put in brooder with the new one or just let nature take it's course....Id rather see what it looks like for her to just take care of them but I'd feel bad if the other chicks hurt them. Just looking for anyone who's left the mom to raise them in a coop/run with others.

Thanks,

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The way I have done it is... set up a broody in a cage or enclosed space of her own...and yes I left the chicks with her but made sure she was not allowed in the general run with all the other chickens...too much can happened to them being hurt or killed ...they won't know how to use a ramp...

If your nestbox is high they will fall out and not be able to get back to her...also they need to be able to get to food and water, you will have to supply the chick starter...and make sure your waterers are drown poof....

Try finding her a place of her own after the chicks have hatched so she can keep them with her or set up a second brooder and take the chicks....they will do fine without a momma hen...thats what incubating chicks have to have like the day olds your getting...they will do fine....

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  3. jenichick

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I see. It might just be easier on me, and them if I combine the babies she hatches with the ones coming in. I don't have a separate area that's dry except where I plan on putting the brooder box. Thanks for the input.

4. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I always take the hatched babies after a day or two.. I dont like momma raised babies they are more wild than brooder babies that I feed and handle..

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Combining them at that age should be just fine....and I agree with Fluffychicken...your brooder chicks will be easier to handle...momma hen won't let you around her babies!....lol

6. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:What a good point. I had never thought of that.

They can learn a lot from mama but not always what you want them to know plus the feed and handle them yourself thing.

7. jenichick

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    That's what I was thinking. I handled my current chicks until they were a couple months old and some still don't like me to pick them up but many more do. I also enjoy coming home each day and spending time with them, watching them grow. My hubby wishes I would put the brooder somewhere other than his shop, but it's nice and warm and safe. When our barn is done, I'll probably move it out there.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My broody is in the coop with the rest and I let her raise the chicks she hatches. Granted they are not friendly chicks but I don't mind. They are VERY predator and life skill wise compared to brooder chicks.

9. jenichick

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Silkie, do you move them out of the nest box into a separate area that the other chickens can't get to in the coop or just let them work it out?

10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    my broody hatched some chicks that I immediately took away from her and they were friendly chicks...I left the next batch with her and they are just crazy wild birds! I left her in an enclosed pen within the coop until the chicks were about two weeks old then turned them loose..she protected them from the flock and my birds all free range so they survived the flock fine. I have one cochin egg under her now and I will def. take it away as soon as I see it. ha ha I want this one to be tame and gentle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by