Do I leave the light on all night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ky chicks, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ky chicks

ky chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I just brought home some chicks from Rural King. I got them set up in their new home, but now I'm wondering if I need to leave the light on all night. I know they need heat, but it seems like they would need it to be dark at night. Someone please respond by tonight! I'm new to this (obviously), so I'll probably be posting new questions all the time! Thank you!

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Yes, you can leave it on all night, especially at night so they don't get too cold. I leave mine on 24/7.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Yes! Constant heat! Even if that means constant light [​IMG]

4. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I use a red bulb for heat and the room lights for light. This way they have heat 24-7 but they also get some relief from constant light.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, mine have light on all night, even a dim one, at least till they are fully feathered and no longer need heat.

6. lostinoregon

lostinoregon New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    Should I leave a bright light on during the day for my babies and then provide a dimmer light at night or does it not matter as long as they are warm? Just wondering if, like most animals, they need a dark period during each day?

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I have given up on heat lamps and use a heating pad cave. It's working out to be fantastic for chicks learning that night is for sleeping! They are quiet, non-stressed, and they decide if they need to warm up or not instead of having constant heat all around them.

I don't even have them in the house. Love this method.

Edited to add: Here is a link to the thread about Mama Heating Pad, with more information.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by