do I leave them on the wire?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cornychick, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    My hatch is going into lockdown wednesday night. I have used an automatic turner and am thinking about using an egg carton during the hatch. It seems like others have had good luck with thier chicks not drowning that way. If do use this method, when would I take them out of thier shell they have zipped? Also, do you leave them on the wire or put down paper towls for them to grip?

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    The best thing to do is to buy a roll of that cushy shelf paper with holes in it and cut a piece to fit the bottom of the incubator. Makes cleanup really easy and still allows good air flow. Good luck!

3. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I usually use the textured shelf liner that looks like it's woven. I'm not an egg carton hatcher, so I can't answer that question for you. I had one hatch in the turner, and he hopped right out by himself... I don't think you're supposed to open the incubator unless you have to for at least 24 to 48 hours after your first one hatches -- you lose humidity which may affect the rest of your hatch.

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    How about parchment paper? There is some that comes on a roll. It is porous and I use it to steam tamales in sometimes. Would that work? The water vapor could get through but not the big stuff.

5. Cornychick

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    farmin'chick :

I usually use the textured shelf liner that looks like it's woven. I'm not an egg carton hatcher, so I can't answer that question for you. I had one hatch in the turner, and he hopped right out by himself... I don't think you're supposed to open the incubator unless you have to for at least 24 to 48 hours after your first one hatches -- you lose humidity which may affect the rest of your hatch.

Did you leave your turner in for the whole lockdown period?​

6. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I personally wouldn't use parchment paper but it's your call. You need air circulation during the hatch utilizing the holes in the bottom of the incubator as well as moisture from the wells. The turner i is removed for lockdown. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2009
  7. Cornychick

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    Quote:I had a roll of that somewhere. Two moves ago I think. Now where did I put that stuff.....

8. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    No, the turner comes out at lockdown. I had an early hatcher. Parchment paper would be too slippery.

9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Ahhhh! I was doing paper towels. I'll switch to shelf liner before I lockdown the next batch tonight!

10. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Oh yeah I didnt think about it being slippery. I will look for the shelf liner when the time comes. Can that be disinfected and reused?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by