Do I look like a bank?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Crusty McPottydoodle, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Good Grief.

I am a daycare provider. My policy is payment 1st of the upcoming month. I gave a break to a single mum and let her pay half mid-month and half at the end of the month (so always 15 days behind). She is leaving - tomorrow is her child's last day as I don't work during Christmas break (using school dates). This means I only get half my usual monthy wage. I hadn't cashed her cheque for the 15th yet and last night she texts me asking me if I can hold off until the end of the month and cash both cheques as she is broke. I budget tightly for my time off and am in a bigger crunch because I am down one child for January and don't know how long it will be until I get another. On top of that, I worked 4 days for free this month as there were 14 work days between the 1st and mid-month instead of 10 or 11. Anyway, I told her that the best I could really do was to knock $50 off the first payment and she told me that only postponing the whole amount would help her so she could pay her bills on time for a change! WHAT?

Then she tells me that she guesses she will just have to ask her dad or dip into her overdraft. WHAT? Here I was thinking that she was TRULY broke (and had NO other recourse) and it turns out that she has credit available and a dad to tap. Here I was willing to tighten my belt further and postpone $50 I can ill-afford and was worrying about her little one going without. SHEESH!

I just couldn't believe that she considered childcare a bill she could be late on (which technically she has been late right from the beginning).

It would be a mighty cold day in hades before I would have ever asked my childcare provider to hold off cashing a cheque.

I am SO glad she is going to be gone. This isn't the only instance of her taking advantage, but it is certainly the biggest slap in the face. Sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

[​IMG]

Cash the checks! You are a business just like the grocery store, the utility company etc.... egads!

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    At least you will be rid of her soon. It sounds like she has a problem with priorities.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I would call her back and tell her you are going to cash the checks, but call her bank to make sure there are funds to cover, you don't want to have to cover OD charges on your end.....

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Go to her bank to cash them, so it there's not enough funds you're not hit with it.

(I'm 90% sure you already know this, I had to do it that was when we ran a daycare).

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    When my husband worked at a place that often bounced checks he would take the check to the issuers bank to see if there was money to cash it. I would go to her bank and cash it asap.Some people will write checks on a closed account,or close it soon after to avoid overdrtaft charges.

7. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Don't cash the checks, deposit them just in case [​IMG] If she has overdraft protection than she has no problem over drawing her account in other matters. Get your money before it's too late.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I'd deposit it and let the chips fall as they may.

We (well, the place I work) write up warrants for hot checks every day. I suggest you do the same [​IMG]

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I'd deposit it and let the chips fall as they may.

We (well, the place I work) write up warrants for hot checks every day. I suggest you do the same [​IMG]

yup yup. If you cash them and it later bounces, you have to pay it back. Deposit it and let it sit a couple days and you are safe.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I knew without a doubt as a single mother, day care was the first bill paid every week, in cash. Why would anyone do that??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by