Do I make a special nest box for the Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GlacierNan, Sep 4, 2008.

1. GlacierNan

GlacierNan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    It's about 3 weeks till Laying Time for my girls!
    13 chicks and 4 ducks, have been together since day 2. I know what to do for my hen's nest boxes but not a clue about the ducks! I am using the deep litter method will they use that? Do I put hay or straw on the floor and let them make their own?
    Will they use the chicks nests? I have heavies so the boxes will be nice and roomy.
    I've read about them nesting outside but up here we got 31' of that white stuff last year and I just don't see them spending much time outdoors!! lol

What do ducks like? [​IMG]

Please tell me cause I sure like them! [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    My 3 ducks use a 3 sided ( it has a top too lol ) shelter kinda like a dog house nothing fancy and I use a deep litter method in it - my female cayuga will dig out a nest in the far back corner to lay her eggs -- sometimes she has been known to lay her egg where ever feels like it and in the morning I have to have an egg hunt.

my ducks dont live in the same yard as my chickens ( because my 2 male ducks try to breed the hens it is not a pretty sight lol ) so I dont know if your ducks will use the same nesting boxes as your chickens

as far as snow goes we got a good amount last year and my ducks spent just as much time in the snow as they did in thier little house - I went out a few times and found them sleeping outside with a light snowing falling did not seem to bother them -- of course they were not happy to have thier kiddie pool frozen

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Deep litter works fine with ducks too.

As far as I can tell, giving them a little protected corner space that they can nest in, if they choose, and plenty of fresh straw is about all they really want. We built ours simple little A-frame nest roofs inside the pen and they didn't seem very impressed, although they have used them. I don't think they are very particular.

Just make sure they have access to fresh straw.

4. dixie chicken

dixie chicken Out Of The Brooder

I just get my first duck this year so I do not have much experience but I got three pekin ducks in the spring. I believe two are female cause I am getting couple eggs most mornings. My ducks get locked up in a three sided dog house type structure which has a heavy gague screen door on the front. During the day, they free range. No nest, just a deep litter of straw. From what I have read, ducks lay their eggs at night / early morning usually by 10 am. So far, I have found this to be true. I will occasionally find a stray egg laying somewhere in their roaming area but usually the eggs are there first at light when I let them out of their pen.

5. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Also, unless you give them artificial light, they probably won't lay after fall arrives . . . but that depends upon the individual duck.

6. GlacierNan

GlacierNan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Thank you all for the info! I have a much better grasp now [​IMG]

I have all my fingers and toes crossed that some of the bunch will start to lay this fall and keep it up thru the winter! I just put in two windows but they are on the East and North sides. I may try to get a couple of more in this month. Get as much of our 7 hrs of winter daylight into the coop as possible [​IMG]

~!~Thanks again~!~

7. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    My ducks walk up the plank to the chicken coop and lay their eggs in the nest boxes. They usually lay their eggs between 3 and 4 am when the chickens are on the roosts.

Jayare

8. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Jayare's Chicks :

My ducks walk up the plank to the chicken coop and lay their eggs in the nest boxes. They usually lay their eggs between 3 and 4 am when the chickens are on the roosts.

Jayare

Sounds like well behaved ducks. LOL​

9. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I have only 1 duck now and she shares the shed with my chickens. She lays on the floor of the shed or in a nest box and seems quite happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by