Do i move the mama and babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skeeter03, May 21, 2010.

1. skeeter03

skeeter03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Vernon
    I am hoping to have about 5 babies in about a week. I have a few questions.
    The nest box is high up once the chicks hatch should I move them to the bottom of the coop into a new nest box - was thinking of putting a milk crate or something in the coop and filling it with hay.
    will momma follow and make a new snuggly home in it or should I move mama and eggs to the new nest box now.
    also.....should I lock the mamma and new chicks in the coop by themselves for the first bit away from the other chickens so they get the chick scratch and all that.
    I am worried the little ones will squeeze through the bottom of our chicken run if they are outside and not get back in.
    ORRRR should i just remove the babies and put them seperate until they are big enough to join the flock - dont know where I would put them right yet.
    please help.
    thanks

2. Spudzville

Spudzville Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    SW Idaho
    You can move Mama once a chick hatches, she will stay with the chick. I have tried to move a hen before hatch and it just upset her. I always move the Mama into a large dog crate while her eggs are hatching and then I move her into her own space until the chicks are bigger. The Hens eventually move their chicks into the coop with the others and everbody is happy.

3. skeeter03

skeeter03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Vernon
    oh i have a dog crate lol - That would work like a charm. I dont really have a spot to move the mama and new chicks sooo I am thinking I will just leave the dog crate in the coop put out the chicks feed and water and hope for the best - that they manage well with the general population.

4. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Just make a new nest for her in your dog crate and if you move her and the eggs at night you shouldn't have any problems. I just moved a hen that hatched chicks and there were no problems. I just let nature do its thing and I haven't lost any babies yet.
    Have fun!

5. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Great timing on your question, thanks! I was just going to ask the same thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by