Do I move the Mama????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nanawendy, May 11, 2010.

1. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Do I my broody EE into an isolated area? Now she has "chosen" the communal nesting area to set up camp. The 21 day mark is the 13th this Friday. This is my first hatch and I worried. Our communal nest is 3 feet off the ground. I need advice, I have put this off as long as possible. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I moved mine to keep the others from not "depositing" more eggs under her. It was best....

3. nanawendy

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Should I keep her in the coop but put a divider up... or(the only place I have left) in the food storage shed ? Thanks for your reply [​IMG]

4. millie481

millie481 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    Marengo, Ohio
    I would seperate her just in case. Once the chicks hatch you never know how the other girls will react.

5. nanawendy

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Thanks for the input. I will make the move when DH comes home. I love you guys. I've been worried about this but afraid to ask. Thanks

6. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I didn't move my first broody hen last year. that was a big mistake, the other girls destroyed the pen we put up around her, they tore it down and got in anyways. I tried to move her into a smaller coop by herself and she refused to get back on the nest. I had to put her back in the other coop and I regret not moving her earlier on. Lost 3 eggs and the 1st to hatch just disappeared and we never found it. when my WJG went broody in March I gave her like 3 to 4 days to collect some eggs. I decided i would move her early. I put her inside the garage with golfballs under to be sure she would stay on the eggs. She did thankfully. She hatched 3 little babies sadly one died but the other 2 are very healthy and beautiful little babies. So I say to move her and hope she stays on the nest. I put Missy in a big wicker basket so it would be close to the size of the nesting box she started out in and it worked. I plan on using the basket as often as I need it.

good Luck and I hope you get lots of fuzzy butts.

7. debilorrah

I had mine seperate but visible. It didn't last long because I sold the babies. This time though there are three hens on about 50 eggs. They are Buff Orps - big birds - they can sit on a lot.

8. nanawendy

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    She is moved and setting on a basket nest. I've got her in the food storage shed with a battery lantern. It looks so cozy I might just curl up next to her. [​IMG]

50 EGGS [​IMG] when's the hatch date?

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  9. debilorrah

Quote:I have NO clue. There was one, now there are three - all in the same cat carrier. I have too much else to do to go worrying about overcrowding in the broody box.

10. nanawendy

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Oh that makes me laugh [​IMG] But we do worry, don't we. Between setting up the garden, getting my multi-aged chicks settled and regular family stuff... I'm planting my DS, watering my coop and vacuuming my chicks. But I love every minuet of it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by